fotomoto

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Long Hot Summer

After feeling certain that death was imminent at any moment in the past month due to my recently realized allergy to 100° + temperatures, finally we have a break in the weather. And it's about damn time. When it's over 100°, my daily routine is to get up, walk outside with the dogs, become nauseated by the humidity, and beat a hasty retreat into the house. Being forced outside -- especially if the trip involves great physical exertion like opening the mailbox, bending to pull a weed, or pushing the shutter release on the camera -- requires a full change of clothes and a 2 hour afternoon nap. Needless to say, my creativity and ambition have shriveled alongside my less hardy flowers and herbs.


In the middle of the night recently, though, I was awakened by brilliant flashes of far-off lightning, noiseless and remote. I stood in the yard in my underwear -- good evening, Mr. Daubendieck!!! -- and took long exposure shots of the lightning that was tearing up something two counties away, sweating and being needled by unseen mosquitoes. The results were interesting; this summer has been devoted to using manual lenses and manual settings and forgiving myself for technical imperfections in exchange for atmosphere. I proudly give you the resultant photos:






No comments:

Post a Comment